“But have nothing to do with irreverent and silly myths. Rather, train yourself in godliness, 8 for, the training of the body has a limited benefit, but godliness is beneficial in every way, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come” (1 Timothy 4:7-8 Holman Christian Standard Bible).
What are some spiritual exercises? I thought of the following possibilities:
1. Running to God. Running with patience the race of life set before me.
2. Resistance exercise Resist temptation.
3. Weight lifting Lift worries and cares to God and exercise trust muscle. Concentrate on the good and true things of Philippians 4:8
4. Push-ups When I sin/stumble, push up with confession and repentance
5. Crunches Forgiving others and humbling myself to ask forgiveness of others
6. Endurance training Set my mind and keep it set on things above where Christ is. Keep my eyes on Jesus the author and finisher of my faith. Take every thought captive to Jesus
7. Pull-ups –Scripture memory
8. Sword-practice Study and apply God’s Word.
9. Stretches –Praise and thanksgiving
10. Swimming through thoughts to take hold of truth
Dear Lord, please help me be diligent to do these things so I will grow more and more like Jesus. Amen.